Food is one of the basic needs of human beings according to Abraham Maslow. Our body needs certain types of foods at regulated amounts in order to perform its daily specific chores all throughout its lifespan. For instance, our brain, which is the portion of the vertebral central nervous system that are composed of neurons and supporting and nutritive structures responsible for controlling the functions of the entire system of the human body.
In order to perform its role, the brain needs certain types of chemicals that can be found in various kinds of foods. Moreover, taking in these chemicals – such as serotonin, glucose, fatty acids, antioxidants and amino acids, among others, – in their recommended levels boosts the brain to accomplish its designated tasks all the time, as well as, renew or replace the lost brain cells to maintain its healthy state and the well-being of the person as a whole.
Here are the five brain food tips that should be consumed to enhance the mental performance:
1. Fatty fishes like salmon, anchovies, mackerel and albacore tuna. Our brain needs fat, specifically omega- and omega-6. According to the University of Maryland Medical Centre, our brain prefers a ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 in the range of 1:2 to 1:4. As you may know, human brain is made up of 60% of fat and omega-3 and omega-6 are of high quality kinds of fat.
2. Water. The brain needs clean and uncontaminated water to prevent the brain from being dehydrated.
3. Protein-rich food such as milk/soy milk, eggs, nuts, beans, cheese and grains (from bread and pasta). Proteins keep the neurons communicated with each other effectively. If enough amount of protein is consumed, enhancement in memory will be achieved.
4. Carbohydrates-rich food like vegetables and low-sugar fruits. We know that carbohydrates provide energy for the body, and to the brain, too. The brain is constantly working and even when we are asleep, it uses up energy. Because of this fact, brain needs ample amount of carbohydrates for sustained energy production. This is why carbs and vegetables are in the best brain foods category. Consume whole grains and legumes for optimal energy supply, as well as, allows the brain to function optimally.
5. Coffee or herbal tea. The caffeine that can be found in coffee or herbal tea enables a quick rush of energy to your brain and this can stimulate the release of adrenaline. With the right amount of caffeine in the body, a person can feel energetic and “awake”.